The goal of the Leadership program is to assist students in striving to exemplify the school's vision of being a place that develops citizens who become ethical, compassionate, values-based leaders, determined to make their community and the world a better place. Understanding their responsibility to serve society and knowing the future is theirs to create, the program fosters a desire in our students to live out our guiding values of: Community, Compassion, Integrity, Respect, and Responsibility by becoming responsible citizens who make a difference in the world.
Pickering College has developed a school wide, curriculum-rich, experiential based Leadership program that incorporates the concepts and ideals of leadership. In accordance with our mission, Pickering College has consistently demonstrated a leadership role in the field of education. The Leadership program stresses 21st Century skills such as critical thinking, communication, creativity and character building.
- Grades 9 & 10 – Leadership skills are taught to all students through the compulsory program.
- All Grade 9 students are enrolled in the Duke of Edinburgh Award Program.
- All Grade 10 students are involved in the Youth Philanthropy Initiative.
- Grade 11 – An optional course, GPP 3O Leader- ship and Peer Support that seeks to develop key Leadership skills such as communication, decision making and conflict resolution.
- Grade 12 – An optional Interdisciplinary Leadership course, IDC 4U that focuses on units such as Profiles in Leadership, Ethics and Leadership in Action.