Facility Services practices will meet or exceed the Public Health Ontario Cleaning and Disinfecting for Public Settings (May 2020) and the Government of Canada’s Cleaning and Disinfecting Public Spaces During COVID-19 (April 2020) recommendations.
- All areas used by employees and students will be cleaned and disinfected at least once per day
- High-touch areas will be disinfected at least twice per day
- Items that cannot be easily cleaned will be removed from use
- Appropriate cleaning products are used, and the products are to remain on the surfaces for the appropriate length of time (contact time)
- Gloves are to be worn when handling dirty laundry. Laundry will be handled without shaking
- Regular laundry soap and hot water (60C-90C) are used for laundering
Facilities staff will be scheduled in a manner that supports frequent daytime disinfecting and daily cleaning. Staff will be on site 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Thorough cleaning generally will occur in the evenings, nights and on weekends. Daytime focus will be on regular disinfection.
Facilities will be completing daily checklists of work completed. The Facility Services Manager is responsible for ongoing supervision and quality control.
Custodial staff in the evening and on weekends will check the sign in/out record outside Reception to keep track of persons who may have been in the building. All areas in the school that have been accessed after hours must be cleaned and disinfected daily in addition to the regular cleaning routine.
All cleaning products will be approved by the Government of Canada for use as a hard surface disinfectant effective against SARS-CoV-2 (the coronavirus that causes COVID-19). The List changes frequently. Products are chosen based on their efficacy, with the health and safety of our staff and students at the forefront.
Faculty and Staff Cleaning Protocol
- Classrooms/Offices will be provided with disinfecting wipes or disposable clothes and spray bottles of disinfectant by facilities and staff are required to clean upon arrival and before departure as well as needed in between.
- All faculty and staff are responsible during the workdays for regularly cleaning and disinfecting their own workspaces with the disinfectant wipes provided
Faculty are responsible for the following protocols:
- Before students eat, washing the tabletop with a cloth dampened with plain water
- After students eat, washing the tabletop with the damp cloth to remove food waste followed by disinfecting
- Using special wipes to clean the classroom electronics
- Materials (i.e. learning tools, toys and other classroom equipment) must be paced in plastic bins and filed not greater than ½ full so that the faculty and facilities can clean them easily at the end of the day
- Classroom disinfectant SDS sheets are available in the Mailroom
Hand Washing and Sanitizing Facilities
Soap and water are the preferred method of cleaning hands. Hand sanitizers should only be used with children under the direct control of supervising staff.
Additional sanitizer stations have been installed at each entry point throughout the school.