Global Leadership Program
At Pickering College, every student from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12, benefits from the fully integrated, enriched programming of the Global Leadership Program. The Global Leadership Program teaches students to deeply consider the global context, and to develop the skills necessary to effectively participate in this context. Creative and innovative decision-making drives all programming in academics and activities beyond the classroom. Students learn to take theory to action, and to assess the impact of their actions.
Our students continue to benefit from an inquiry-based education that is student-centered and prepares them to think critically, independently, and creatively. Our students have a wide range of authentic and experiential learning opportunities, within and outside of the classroom, to meet their individual strengths and interests.
Educating and developing the whole student has always been a priority at Pickering College. Our teachers enable each student to develop their intellectual, creative, spiritual, and athletic potential within the school community and beyond.
GLP Diploma and Diploma with Distinction Criteria
Outlined below are the requirements for the Pickering College Global Leadership Diploma. All students will complete the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and will be eligible for the Pickering College Global Leadership Diploma (GLD)* or Pickering College Global Leadership Diploma with Distinction (GLD+) upon completion of the additional requirements as stated below.
Students joining after Grade 9 can submit experiences at prior school for assessment under the same framework.
- Engagement and achievement in Grade 11 and 12 GLP Program Capstone Research Project
- Engagement and achievement on Global Leadership Program and Projects in Grade 9 and 10 or prior activities at previous school
- OSSD Requirements
- Sustained and meaningful community service activity
- Successful completion of IDC4O Global Leadership: Theory to Action 0.5 credit (70 per cent or above)
- Recent and consistent GLP achievements at Competent or above as per GLP rubric including the 10 Demonstrations of Global Leadership and the GLP Interdisciplinary Grade Projects
GLP Diploma with Distinction
- As above for GLP Diploma
- 85 per cent average of top 6 Grade 12 courses
- Recent and consistent GLP achievements at Distinction as per GLP rubric
I was absolutely blown away by the accomplishments of these students. I am awestruck by their dedication, research, and passion for their projects. When I graduated from Pickering College, the leadership program was a cornerstone of the Pickering College experience. It has served me well in my time since Pickering and prepared me for challenges life presents when trying to establish yourself in the world. Yet after today, it is evident that the program was in its youth and had not yet grown into the program it could become. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it flourishing into the program it is today. I can say with the utmost confidence that these students are not just learning about leadership, they are living it. I am excited to see what these young leaders accomplish going forward. - Neil Proudfoot '08