Campus Access & Usage
Student drop-off and pick-up times will be staggered to ensure physical distancing and support the concept of cohorting.
Facilities Services Staff will maintain a 24-hour schedule with enhanced cleaning and disinfecting practices.
- Buildings will be closed to parents and visitor/contractor access will be limited as much as possible.
- Students and faculty/staff will only be in the buildings at the times approved by their Supervisor.
- Anyone entering the buildings after hours MUST sign in and out outside reception.
- The Fitness Centre will only open to boarding students with supervision and a schedule that only allows members of the same cohort to use the Fitness Room at the same time. Occupancy is limited to 7 people, including the supervisor.
- Family Style lunch will be replaced by in-class lunch delivery for Grades JK – 5 and buffet lunch for Grades 6-12. Grades 9-12 (alternative lunch schedule (by cohort) to limit the number of people in the Dining Hall at any given time). Students must sit in cohorts in the Dining Hall. Cohorts will be physically distanced by 2 metres.
Faculty and Staff
- Faculty may only be on campus when they are supporting or teaching students, at the direction of the Assistant Head of School, Academics and Student Programs.
- Work from home will continue for Administrative Staff as much as possible.
- School access (Rogers House) outside of class hours must be pre-approved by the Division Director/Supervisor/Assistant Head of School, Academics and Student Programs/Assistant Head of School – Finance and Operations. Facility Services must be advised of any access outside of normal operating hours and there may be restrictions on which areas of the school are accessible.
- All visitors must be directed to sign in at Reception and MUST wear a visitor sticker and a new, school provided, medical mask. After Hours sign in book is located just outside of Reception.
- Must complete a daily COVID-19 Assessment using the REACH app each day before beginning work.
- Must report their health status to the Health Centre or Human Resources Manager.
- Must not come to work if they have current common-cold, influenza or COVID-19 like symptoms (even if symptoms are mild), if they have been advised by a health professional to self-isolate, or if there exists any other circumstances that pursuant to a government order or directive requires them to self-isolate.
- Enter through their assigned entrance door (if applicable) and practice effective hand hygiene that includes sanitizing hands upon entering and exiting the building as well as at regular intervals throughout the day.
Contractors and Visitors
- Pre-Approval by the Head of School, Assistant Heads of School, Facilities Manager or a member of the Management Team is required for access to the school by contractors, paraprofessionals and visitors.
- All visitors/contractors must sign in at Reception and wear a Visitor badge and a new, school provided, medical mask.
- All visitors/contractors must complete the Self-Screening using the paper screening tool at the front door.
- Everyone must sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting a building.
- Everyone must practice physical distancing.
Parents/students must complete a daily health assessment using the REACH app for the student. Parents are asked not to send their child to school if they have any current common-cold, influenza or COVID-19 like symptoms (even if their symptoms are mild), if they have been advised to self-isolate or if there exists any other circumstances that pursuant to government orders or directive requires them to self-isolate (International Travel).
Parents are asked to report all student absences to the Attendance Administrator ext. 222 or email@example.com.
School Protocols (Daily)
Day students may remain on campus only for the duration of the school day.
Parents are to drop their children off at the designated area and leave campus without delay. Parents are asked to remain in their vehicle while they wait for their children after school.
Students who are in a high-risk demographic due to underlying medical condition or age, should make themselves known to the Health Centre/Teacher/Advisor and we will work together to formulate a personal care plan to address their specific high-risk needs. This may include remote learning and other accommodations as necessary. See Remote Learning Policy
No day students are permitted in boarding at any time.
Staff who are in a high-risk demographic due to underlying medical conditions or age, should make themselves known to the Director, Human Resources and work together with Human Resources and their Director to formulate a personal care plan to address their specific high-risk needs. This may include working remotely and/or other accommodations as necessary.
Staff are required to wear medical masks and students from JK to Grade 12 will be required to wear non-medical or cloth masks while in school buildings. Reasonable exceptions will be made as required for medical or sensory conditions.
Everyone is required to wear face masks when inside any school buildings. Everyone is encouraged to wear face coverings when outside if they cannot be physically distanced from others, not in their household.
Protocols for Students
Students will only be allowed into Rogers House at the assigned staggered start time
Student will enter Rogers House without their parents at their assigned entrance door
- Students must wash or sanitize their hands upon entering the building (there are hand sanitizer stations located inside each door)
- Students may bring with them only the minimal materials that are needed and take them all to the classroom
- Students are not required to wear a tie or blazer – summer dress will apply for the school year (golf shirt)
- Students will practice physical distancing. They must stay 2m apart (as possible) and avoid touching communal surfaces and each other
- Students who arrive late must enter through the main door of Rogers House and sign in with the Attendance Administrator (only one person in the office at a time) and then go directly to their classroom – a Daily Screening using the REACH app must be completed
- Students will be taken to their designated dismissal area by their teachers. When parents arrive to pick up their child(ren), the student will be released by the teacher. Parents are asked to remain in their vehicle while they wait for their child
- Students will report to their teacher if they are not feeling well and will be sent to the Health Centre – it is requested that the teacher ask the student to apply the provided classroom facemask and gloves and call the Health Centre to alert the nurse of the student’s impending arrival
- Grades JK- Grade 5 will have lunch delivered to their classroom and will eat in their classroom
Grades 6-12 will have assigned lunch period that allow for reduced numbers of people in the Dining Hall at any one time – Food will be served by the Aramark staff utilizing the emerging best practices. Students eating in the Dining Hall will eat in cohorts and cohorts will be physically distanced by 2 metres. Students are encouraged to maintain as much physical distancing within their cohort. Students may choose to eat outdoors.
Each student is encouraged to bring their own water bottle that is labelled, kept with them and not shared.
All classes will have assigned washrooms to assist with any contract tracing should it be required. Students are to use designated washrooms except in the event of a washroom emergency.
Each division will have assigned stairwells. Students are asked to use their assigned stairwell and keep to the right at all times. Exceptions are made in the event of an evacuation, then students and staff should use the nearest stairwell and exit the building in a timely manner:JS – North Stairwell – Stairwell C
MS – South Stairwell – Stairwell A
SS – Middle Stairwell – Stairwell B
- No day students are permitted to enter boarding at any time
- Faculty should use the stairwell of the division in which they teach. Crossover faculty should use the stairwell of the division in which they primarily teach.
- All students will be required to wear non-medical or cloth masks while in school buildings. Reasonable exceptions will be made as required for medical or sensory conditions.
- Boarding students are required to wear non-medical or cloth masks while in the common areas of the residences. Non-medical or cloth masks are not required while students are in their rooms alone.
Protocols for Parents
- Parents will arrive at the designated drop off location at the assigned staggered start and dismissal time – it will be very important to keep to these times to encourage physical distancing
- Complete the Daily Screening questions for their child(ren) using the REACH app prior to arrival each and every morning
- Parents drop off their child(ren) outside of the building and depart immediately – PC Staff are on duty to receive the child(ren)
- Parents are asked to allow their child(ren) to make the last part of the journey into the school independently
- Parents will pick up their child(ren) at the designated locations and leave campus in a timely manner
- Parents/Custodians may only enter the building if absolutely necessary and must check in to Reception or the Duty Office
- If parents have to come into the school, they must wear a mask/face covering.
- Parents/Custodians are asked to wait in their car for their child(ren) when picking up at the end of the day
During the day:
- Everyone must wash/sanitize their hands before they enter the classroom; this is at the beginning of the day, after recess, after using the restroom, or any other time they enter the room
- Everyone must wash/sanitize their hands when they exit the classroom; this is at the end of the day, before going to recess, before going to the restroom or at any other time they leave the room
- Everyone must wash/sanitize their hands before and after eating
- Everyone must keep their belongings in their personal area in the classroom
- All students (JK – Grade 12) must wear a non-medical mask or face covering while in Rogers House.
- Face covering or masks with vents are prohibited.
- Students will not be required to wear a mask outdoors but are encouraged to maintain as much physical distance as possible.
At the end of the day:
- Students put on their coats and collect all of their belongings
- Students wash/sanitize their hands before walking out of the door
Expectations around the use of materials:
- All school materials must stay at school; no home materials are brought to school with the exception of the necessary electronic devices
- Junior School students may not bring personal toys or games to school
- Each student will be required to purchase a “class kit” from the Hilltop Shop
- All tools and manipulatives will be washed by the faculty after each use daily
- Soft toys and plush pillows/cushions/blankets will be removed from classrooms
- iPads, Chromebooks and Laptops will be designated to an individual student and may not be shared. These devices will be wiped down several times each day
- Students must wash/sanitize hands before and after use of school materials
- A revised recess schedule will be created to provide outdoor playtime for all students and keep them limited to their cohort group. The primary grades will have recess in the fenced playground (playground equipment will be off limits).
- The Junior School grades will have recess at the east side of New House near the Dining Hall and the Middle School students will have recess on Memorial Field.
- Students are not required to wear masks outdoors, but distancing between cohorts is encouraged as much as possible.
The Co-Curricular program has been modified with the principles of physical distancing and cohorting in mind. Competitive travel is currently suspended.
Physical education classes will take place outside as able. Activities and lesson plans will be adjusted to ensure physical distancing is possible. Students will be encouraged to wear masks when physical distancing cannot be ensured and it is safe to do so based on the activity.
Change rooms can be used. Change rooms will be equipped with signage to ensure physical distancing of students inside change rooms. Everyone inside the change room must wear a face covering/mask at all times.
Pickering College arena is closed to rental groups but will be used for physical education. Arena schedule will ensure the students stay in their cohorts. Dressing rooms will be set up to ensure physical distancing. Students will arrive in as much of their equipment as possible. Dressing rooms will be cleaned and disinfected after each cohort has used them.
Off campus class and boarding excursions will be reintroduced in a controlled manner. Each excursion will have COVID-19 protocols as part of the risk assessment.
All students participating in a school excursion will be screened upon arrival and drop-off.
Students will be cohorted throughout the duration of the excursion.
Accurate attendance records will be kept to facilitate contact tracing.